Plane Jayne

Thursday, December 08, 2005

"DING...you are now free to roam about the runway..er...Country



Well, well, well. Hmmm...isnt it interesting how tides, as well as safety records, can turn in an instant. Hometown favorite, Southwest Airlines, seems to think that their peanut fares allows them to drop their passengers off wherever they want. And that includes Central Avenue behind MDW (Chicago Midway Aiport.)

Apparently, in a mad dash to have another "on-time" arrival, the Low-Fare airline felt invincible, thinking that ice and snow diversions didnt apply to them.

It seems as though a flight from BWI (Baltimore) was on final approach into MDW, and landed at over 160mph!!!

Now, from what I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, 737's dont have very effective "flaps" on the front of the wing. These flaps help to create a drag (no comments) effect on the aircraft which helps to slow the airplane down on approach, making it safer to land in icy conditions. They can take 20-30 mph off of the landing speed. The lack of effective flaps, combined with the kind of short runway and a steep glide slope at Chicago Midway, caused this particular plane to skid right off of the runway.... onto the grass.... through the border fence ... and into the intersection of 55th and Central Ave!! The plane ran over two cars.

I am so glad that there were no fatalities on board, and there were many comments praising the Flight Attendants. KUDOS KIDS


Unfortunately, as I am editing this blog, I found out from Donny, my ex, not Donnie in Boise, that one 6 year old boy was killed in one of the cars that I mentioned earlier.


I hope that this will cause Southwest to stop and think a bit more when they are constantly trying to turn these planes on 20 minute turn arounds. Maybe, if they took a deep breath, took and extra 15 minutes or so between legs, this kind of thing won't happen again.

By the way. this is not the first time this has happened to them! ( SEE PHOTO ) This happened to them in 2000 in BUR (Burbank).

Looking back, I dont know of any other airline that this HAS happened to. hmmmmm....interesting, dont you think?

Well...I hope this has made you think about how vulnerable and amazing flying can be. I also hope you will at least pay a teensy bit of attention the next time we are in the aisles flailing our arms around and pointing out exits for you. Believe me...we hate doing it as much as you loathe seeing it. But it is important .

Until our next "leg", remember...Be nice to the stews, we can save your lives, and we control the liquor !!!

We are ready for takeoff from BNA (Nashville).

5 Comments:

  • First off..HOLY HOOTERS! Glad the airlines are staying abreast of things!!


    And does that sign actually say that gas there is only $1.59 a gallon!

    Can't tell which picture Im drolling over more!

    Shannon

    By Blogger Darth Daddy, at 9:15 PM  

  • hey DADDY. isnt that pic a kick. i was literally writing this blog when i heard about the boy. i felt terrible, but humor in spite of all...thanks for reading

    By Blogger Chris, at 9:28 PM  

  • I love that photo of you topless it's simply stunning ;-) Miss you too ... are you going to be around the night of my party or what?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:09 PM  

  • Ok so holy crap ... I read your blog entry about this and was thinking when the hell did this happen I must be out of it, left my computer went to bed, turned on the tv for a minute and BAH BAM there it was on CNN. Crazy stuff, you're cutting edge Mr.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 AM  

  • I'm enjoying the blog.

    These pics from Hooters Air Line, or what?

    By Blogger Mike, at 6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home